This hazardous material could be lurking in your home, so make sure you're clued up!
What is asbestos?
Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral that was used in a variety of building materials to make them fire retardant and more robust.
Why is it dangerous?
When asbestos is disturbed it releases microscopic fibres, into the atmosphere, which can be up to 2000 times thinner than a human hair. If inhaled in high concentrations they can become trapped deep within the lining of the lungs and in some cases work their way through the lung lining, causing asbestos related diseases that can take 15-60 years to develop.
Where is it likely to be in my home?
What should I do if I think there’s asbestos in my house?
Can I remove it myself?
Yes, but only non-licenced asbestos and it’s not recommended. If you are going to remove it yourself take the following precautions:
How do I dispose of asbestos?
Asbestos is classed as hazardous waste, so it cannot be disposed of via your household waste collection. Seek advice from your local council about collection services or specialist disposal facilities.
Words and Image: Asbestos Surveying Ltd